Access to the Facilities
At this time only VA Tech personnel are allowed to operate the equipment in the facility. Use by external personnel is being investigated and hopefully will be offered in the future.
New Members - In order to become a facility user you must first agree to the terms and conditions of use for the facility. As a member you agree to help out around the facility
by donating time to maintain the equipment and facilities. I generally ask that users can justify 20-30 hrs/semester of use to make it worth their time for training and duties. With
the assistance of the user community we are able to offset some of the cost they and others would incur while using the facilities. If you agree with these conditions, then please
e-mail me while copying your advisor with answers to these questions.
- How often do you plan on using the facility this semester?
- What do you plan to fabricate and what equipment do you anticipate using?
- What times do you have available each week to help out around the facility?
- After you have read and watched the training information, please sign the signature pages included in the Cleanroom Use and Chemical Hygiene Plan, returning them to my office (Whittemore 640), or drop them off at the Whittemore 302 mail room (MicrON mail slot).
- Once I have the signed documents, I will schedule a time where we can do an orientation of the facilities. This will generally take ~1 hour to go over the operations of the facilities and locations of all safety equipment and process tools.
- As a new user you will not be given 24/7 access right away, since you do not have the proper training to use the equipment. Once you have entered the lab several times while working with other users, you will begin to understand the process flow and procedures.
- After the orientation, I will provide you with contact information so you can contact the tool masters for training.
- Before independent operation of a tool is allowed, you must go thru 2 training sessions with the master followed up by a 3rd with the lab manager to verify your knowledge and skill of operation.
- Failure to properly operate the equipment or use of the facilities will result in your suspension from the lab. Damage to the equipment and lab as a result of misuse will incur charges to your advisor for any necessary repairs.
- Always remember it is best to ask questions rather then run the risk of damaging the equipment and facilities!
- User Fees - As a cost center there are specific fees for use of the facilities and equipment. The cleanroom is operated on a not for profit basis, where fees are used to offset the cost of operations, maintenance, and supplies. The following fee structure has been setup for internal as well as external users:
|Internal Rate||External Rate|
|Acct 12990||Act 12997|
|230537||LBR-FM||Don Leber Labor||42.00||42.00||42.00||25.00||67.00|
|230539||LBR-LD||Lou Guido Labor||77.00||77.00||77.00||45.00||122.00|
|230529||W633-1||Therm Beam Evaporator||13.00||13.00||13.00||8.00||21.00|
|230532||W633-4||Micro-Auto Dicing Saw||10.00||10.00||10.00||6.00||16.00|
|230543||W633-6||Keithley 4200 & Signatone||9.00||9.00||9.00||5.00||14.00|
|230544||W633-7||Accent Alloying Station||11.00||11.00||11.00||6.00||17.00|
|230521||W633-E||Lab Access, W633||9.00||9.00||9.00||5.00||14.00|
|230551||W636-11||Karl Suss SB6||7.00||7.00||7.00||4.00||11.00|
|230526||W636-3||Trion Enh Plasma CVD||20.00||20.00||20.00||12.00||32.00|
|230527||W636-4||Trion HD Plasma Etcher||30.00||30.00||30.00||18.00||48.00|
|230528||W636-5||Alcatel Deep Reac Ion Etcher||45.00||45.00||45.00||26.00||71.00|
|230546||W636-7||SR Ion Etcher||16.00||16.00||16.00||9.00||25.00|
|230536||W636-E||Lab Access, W636||10.00||3.00||13.00||10.00||3.00||8.00||21.00|
|230553||W636-12||RTA System (Effective 8/1/10)||10.00||10.00||10.00||6.00||16.00|
|Rates are in Dollars per Hour|